Kartong Festival what you're looking for?
kartong festival of arts, music and culture, gambia
24th - 31st March 2007
The Kartong Festival is set in one of the oldest and most unspoilt coastal villages of the Gambia, within walking distance of the soft sandy Atlantic beaches.
Over a week long, the Festival will be a host to the very best of music and dance from West Africans at home.
The whole village of Kartong welcomes all and wishes to share the beauty and hospitality for which this area is renowned.
Kartong is on the southerly border of the Gambia and the Casamance Region of Senegal, within easy of Banjul International Airport.
Over 30 groups from Senegal, Gambia, Guinea, Mali, the UK and Europe performing traditional music and dance throughout the week in the main arena and at many locations in and around the village.
An endless number of workshops will be organised throughout the week to explore the cultural richness of the area and to introduce many of the delights of this very special part of the Gambia.
Activities and visits:
- Lemon Fish Art Gallery with exhibitions of some of the finest local artists.
- The Folonko Sacred Crocodile Pool and Museum. The spiritual heart of the village, thought to be the site of the original settlement of Kartong.
- The Fishing Centre where the fishing boats ply the Atlantic Ocean daily.
- Bird watching for some of the 200 species to be found in the Gambia.
- Walking/cycling to explore the rich forests, rivers and beaches.
- Boat trips along the Hallahein River or across to the Casamance Region of Senegal.
- Trips into the Community Forest to discover the richness of the local flora and fauna.
- The local Reptile Farm
- The Visitor Centre for the Kartong Association for Responsible Tourism where there’s information on all of the projects concerning tourism in the area.
- The miles and miles of unspoilt white sand beaches.
The Kartong Festival has developed from two events that were organised in Kartong by The Kartong Association for Responsible Tourism. The first event was a weekend in November 2005 where over 30 groups of musicians and cultural groups from The Gambia and Senegal came together to celebrate their local traditions through music and dance. This highly successful event led to the organisation of a ten-day event in March 2006.
This years festival, based in the Southern part of Gambia, West Africa, promises to be another fantastic event with musicians and artistes from Gambia and Senegal.
For more information, contact Peter Borshik at email@example.com or call him on 01295 758891.
Also, view the kartong festival website at: www.kartongfestival.org